Today we have the privilege of speaking to Chris Cederstrand, a man who has overcome incredible odds to become a true champion of the human spirit. A former aspiring hockey player, Chris’s life was forever altered when he lost his leg in a devastating construction accident. But rather than giving into despair, he chose to forge a new path; one of inspiration and hope. As North America’s first above-the-knee amputee firefighter, Chris has shown that true bravery is not the absence of fear but the willingness to face it head-on. Through his work with the Cederstrand Foundation, Chris has helped to empower countless individuals to overcome adversity and reach their full potential. In our conversation, he shares how he lost his hockey career due to concussions, the impact post-concussion syndrome had on his physical and mental health, and details about the accident that changed his life forever.
Chris also tells us about how his approach to life changed, how his original prosthetic limb initially limited him, his struggle with medication, and the impactful role that sports played in his recovery. Hear about how he fulfilled a childhood dream despite his amputation, the biggest barrier to getting a prosthetic, the other people he drew inspiration from, the importance of mindset, and a takeaway message he has for listeners. Tune in to hear why the only limits in life are the ones you place on yourself with inspiration, Chris Cederstrand!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Background about Chris, his life growing up, and his hockey career.
- Details about the traumatic construction accident that changed his life.
- The moment he realized that his life had been dramatically altered.
- He takes us through his recovery and how he was able to cope with his new reality.
- How he was able to remain hopeful despite the negativity around him.
- The challenges that amputees face finding the correct prosthetic limb.
- Find out how he met his current prosthetist and why it was a game-changer.
- Learn about the issues associated with medication as an amputee.
- Chris explains the type of pain he felt after the accident and phantom limb syndrome.
- He tells us about the alternative therapies and treatments he tried.
- Discover how he was able to finance and fund his various prosthetics.
- Hear about his sledge hockey experience and playing for the national team.
- What approach he used to develop his positive and relentless mindset.
- We learn about the Cederstrand Foundation and how they are helping people with disabilities.